Home » computers, how-to

Use Gizmo5 for free calls with Google Voice

Written By: James Rintamaki on July 26, 2009 143 Comments

gizmo google voice

Update 9 Sept 2010: This post has since become outdated! Please check out the updated post about using Gizmo5 and Google Voice for free calls

With Google Voice (what is Google Voice?) fulfilling more and more invitations, some more great news has recently been discovered (thanks cnr1109):  you can now setup Gizmo (a VOIP application very similar to Skype) to make free incoming and outgoing calls using your Google Voice account – no longer do you have to “start” the call from the google.com/voice webpage (or similar).   Not only this, but if you get a SIP/ATA device (devices used for Vonage/SunRocket/etc), you can plug it into your existing home phone line and have free calls from home without having to use your computer!  And what else?  it’s easy to setup:

1. Add your Google Voice number to your Gizmo5 account

Login to your gizmo5.com account and enter in your google voice account information (if you are weary about giving them your gmail account information, which you shouldn’t be – but if you are, you can request your google voice account be associated with a different gmail address)  Google Voice number:

gizmo5_account

update 7/27/09 7:30pm est:  There is now a notice on the page that this is an experimental service and calls will be limited to 20 minutes.  They also provided a link to more information at www.gizmovoice.com:

gizmo_experimental

update 7/30/09:  Now it is limited to 3 minutes of outgoing calls, unlimited incoming, and more – find out full details over at http://www.gizmovoice.com/ or http://gizmocall.com/:

gizmo_3min

update 8/8/09:  (how many more changes will there be!?)  Now you no longer have to enter in your Google account credentials:
gizmo_no_glogin

2.  Add your Gizmo5 number to your Google Voice account (and verify it)

Login to Google Voice (http://www.google.com/voice) and add your Gizmo5 number (if you haven’t already):

googlevoice_setup_gizmo

Once you click save, you’ll see a window pop up with a verification code.  Make sure you have Gizmo installed and running on your computer, and then click ‘connect’ (tip:  if having problems getting Gizmo5 to work in Windows 7, install AND run it [once installed] in Windows XP Compatibility mode):

verify_gizmo
Answer the call within Gizmo (you do NOT need to be paying for Gizmo incoming call feature for this call), and then enter in the 2 digit code:

incoming_call gizmo_dialpad

Now, at this point, you can now make free outgoing, and receive free incoming, calls from the Gizmo application (using your Google Voice number)!

3.  Setup an ATA device for free calls using a land line phone

To be able to make/receive these free calls from an actual land line phone (using the “normal” phone lines in your house/etc), you will have to obtain a ATA \ PAP2 \ VOIP device.  This is basically a box that you plug in to your router/modem and then you can plugin a normal phone line into this device.  You then configure the device to work with your Gizmo account, plugin a land line phone (or, plug it into your home’s phone jack in the wall, and then any phone plugged into a different phone jack will work) and viola!  Free incoming/outgoing calls using your land line phones.

Where can you find such a device?  These are the devices that were/are used for such services like Vonage, the now defunct SunRocket, and the like.  Here are a few examples of ATA devices (get already unlocked ones and save your self hassle):

• Linksys Sipura SPA-2100 (or basically any unlocked sipura model numbers) – ebay
  • Linksys PAP2 – ebay
  • InnoMedia MTA6328-2Re – ebay (not sure how to unlock these)
  • Happen to already have an old SunRocket device (most likely InnoMedia)?  Follow these instructions (thanks WorpX) to unlock & use with Gizmo5

Once you have a ATA device, here is the information you want to use to set it up to use your Gizmo account (how to access the admin panel of your device depends on the device):

• Username:  your ten digit Gizmo number and country code [1 ### ### ####] with no spaces  (you can find your gizmo number by logging into your http://www.gizmo5.com account, and it will be listed there as your “SIP Number”)

gizmo_sip_number

• Password:  your Gizmo password
  • Server:  proxy01.sipphone.com (or, if you are having problems with hearing audio when receiving calls, try stun01.sipphone.com:3478 – thanks ccengineer)

update 7/30:  As mentioned earlier in step 2, Gizmo has now limited (free) outgoing calls to 3 minutes but still allowing unlimited incoming minutes.  Here is the email I received this evening about it:

Gizmo Voice Moves from Experimental to Beta

Thanks for trying our experimental Gizmo Voice service. The viral spread of this service surprised us and we’ve received valuable feedback from many users on their experience of linking their Google Voice number to a Gizmo5 account so they can make and receive calls from wifi phones, ATAs, PC software and even a browser window using GizmoCall.com. Many of you have told us about the wide range of SIP devices you can now use to connect to Google Voice and we’re keeping a list of user suggestions of compatible wifi phones and software you might want to try out.
We’re now moving the service from Experimental to Beta and there are some important facts you should know:

• Gizmo Voice will remain a free service for Google Voice users to link their telephone number to a SIP account via Gizmo5.
  • Unlimited incoming calls will be permitted to any SIP software or hardware.
  • Free 3 minute calls to US numbers.
  • All outbound calls will display your Google Voice CallerID.
  • Longer calls will require a purchase of Gizmo5’s Call-Out which offers low per minute fees to all destinations.
  • Unanswered inbound calls will use Google’s voicemail with unlimited online storage and free voicemail transcripts.

We hope you are enjoying the high quality VOIP service Gizmo5 has to offer, which includes unlimited calls to 800 numbers, other SIP networks, GoogleTalk users and even the ability to call a Skype user from any SIP device. (To test the SIP to Skype gateway call Try dialing 1-333-666-1111 which is the Skype echo line.) Gizmo5 is committed to user empowerment that comes from the use of open standards and interconnected services.

Any questions!?  Have better ATA devices to use? Feel free to ask in the comments!

Tags: , , ,

Digg this!Add to del.icio.us!Stumble this!Add to Techorati!Share on Facebook!Seed Newsvine!Reddit!Add to Yahoo!

143 Responses to “Use Gizmo5 for free calls with Google Voice”

1. Sunny on: 27 July 2009 at 8:32 pm

How can I dial out using the InnoMedia MTA6328-2Re? I can receive calls but when I try to dial out, it says “Your call cannot be completed as dialed, check number and try again.” Anyone know whats wrong? Thanks

2. Bryce on: 27 July 2009 at 10:53 pm

Anybody know how to get X-Lite to work with making outbound calls from the app? Gizmo5 works fine, but I can’t make an outbound call from X-Lite.

3. BFT on: 27 July 2009 at 11:10 pm

I can only get the Google Voice Gizmo5 thingy to work on outbound calls with the external application. Using the web site http://www.gizmocall.com/open.html will not allow you to make outbound calls over your googleVoice pair for some reason… any ideas?

4. Jeremy C on: 28 July 2009 at 3:15 am

Bryce, check my comment a little earlier in the thread. Make sure your username is your sip number(1747#######) and not a regular Gizmo username. Changed this one thing and x-lite started working perfectly.

5. James on: 28 July 2009 at 9:38 am

I’m having a similar problem as BFT. I can make outgoing calls as described above but only with the desktop application. If I try to call through Fring on my iPhone via Gizmo then I get a message telling me I should buy callout credit. Anyone know if this can be fixed?

6. Nick on: 28 July 2009 at 11:20 am

Same here Sunny. No clue why after researching it all online.

7. Tony on: 28 July 2009 at 5:00 pm

To those having difficulty using Fring or any other client to dial out using GV through their G5 account, please follow the instructions of Jeremy C from the previous page as this solution worked for me. I am at work so I cannot test with http://www.gizmocall.com but it worked with Fring on my ipod touch:

Jeremy C on: 27 July 2009 at 4:32 pm

If you are having problems calling out using another client other than Gizmo5 or your hardware make sure that your user name is your sip number 1747####### and not your Gizmo user name. I had this problem using x-lite where it kept telling me I needed Gizmo out minutes to make calls. Changed the username setting in x-lite to the sip number and works as expected now.

8. Isi on: 28 July 2009 at 5:25 pm

I’m new to Gizmo and I followed the instructions. I also installed Gizmo Lite on my mobile phone. What I don’t understand is how to make outgoing calls from the cell phone which will use the Google Voice number. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

9. Mario on: 28 July 2009 at 5:47 pm

So I noticed on the gizmo page they are limiting calls to 20 minutes. Is that limitation only present in their software, or does it exist when using an ATA device too?

I want to go buy an ATA device to try this all out, but if that is a real limitation, that kinda sucks…

10. Alex on: 28 July 2009 at 10:30 pm

Is the 20 minute limit for inbound calls, outbound calls or both?

11. Thor on: 28 July 2009 at 10:38 pm

I have Gizmos5 set up on my Gigaset S675IP that I got from Amazon.com. Once I set up the google voice option on the Gizmo5 page, my S675IP can now make calls on google voice. way cool… gonna get one for my parents.

12. Isi on: 28 July 2009 at 10:49 pm

Could anyone please tell me how I should place a call from my cell phone for free via Gizmo5 using my Google Voice number? Thanks!

13. Dave on: 29 July 2009 at 3:34 pm

Just signed up with Gizmo5 and noticed that there’s now a 3 minute limit instead of 20 minutes — hardly worth it….

14. Tim on: 29 July 2009 at 4:56 pm

Yep. The “free” gizmo mashup to google voice is now limited to 3 minutes. It seemed so promising.

15. Mario on: 29 July 2009 at 5:06 pm

So is it limited to 3min only for outgoing calls then? Can still at least have it configured as a service to get free incoming calls to an ATA adapter?

16. reapur on: 29 July 2009 at 8:28 pm

Hi,
      I have most of this done but I’m working now on the ATA.
      I do understand what needs to be done if I get a new ATA to configure.
      My question:
      I have viatalk currently and I have a PAP2 that came with it. It’s unlocked and I have the admin password. I can see that there are two lines on it, line1 seems to be the one used Line2 doesn’t seem to be configured.
      Is it possible to configure G5 on Line2? Will I be able to use Viatalk and G5? Although I’m unclear on how SIP/VOIP will know which to use. I haven’t tried this because I don’t want to screw up my phone just in case this is not compatible.

Best Regards

17. Alex on: 29 July 2009 at 9:50 pm

reapur,
      I am in the exact same situation you are – ViaTalk user with a PAP2T and an unused Line2.
      I asked around and came up short, but eventually I constructed the right google search that brought me to: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19601198-Two-PAP2s-behind-one-router-can-they-use-same-SIP-Ports
      Check out the settings N9MD posted on 2007-12-11 21:54:17
      I entered them into Advanced Settings for Line 2 and it connected a couple of seconds later.

Good luck!

Alex

18. reapur on: 29 July 2009 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Alex.
      Already working on it :)

19. WYCowboy911 on: 30 July 2009 at 11:13 am

Bad news folks. Gizmo still allows unlimited calls coming IN from GoogleVoice but have instituted a 3 minute time limit on calls going FROM Gizmo5 TO GoogleVoice.

20. reapur on: 30 July 2009 at 11:24 am

Trying to organize the traffic in my head….
      which leg is the one from G5 GV that is limited?
      Is it if someone calls you on G5 and it rings thru to GV?

21. WYCowboy911 on: 30 July 2009 at 11:29 am

No, if you dial OUT from Gizmo via Google Voice, then the call’s limited to 3 minutes. If someone calls your GoogleVoice number, then you can talk on Gizmo5 for as long as you like.

22. Alex on: 30 July 2009 at 11:36 am

Bear in mind that this is still experimental and when I tested the 3 min limit last night I got 20+ before I accidentally let the call end

I still feel like Gizmo will (or at least needs to for this to be worthwhile) come up with a way to transition a call from a free x min GV to a paid-for Gizmo call

23. James Rintamaki on: 30 July 2009 at 8:20 pm

@Alex, it sounds like (from the email I just posted) that they will (if not already) make it so it will automatically transition to your GizmoOut paid credit once you go beyond your free 3 minutes.

If nothing else, perhaps this could be a good free fax service (assuming you send a small fax)!

24. david glover on: 31 July 2009 at 1:57 pm

I am lost in the logic loop here. Everything is associated between GV and Gizmo, but how do I get to make the free calls? I don’t get it. I

25. erix on: 31 July 2009 at 4:58 pm

when I call out with ATA , gizmo5 account setup inside, and associated with GV, I can’t hear anything from the other party, but if the other party call my GV No. which is transfered to my GZ5 account , there is no problem at all. very strange.

I didnt change any setup, and this setup has been working until yesterday.

26. Vinh on: 31 July 2009 at 7:09 pm

Does call-out still work? I only see this:

Integration with Google Voice:
      – Answer calls from your GoogleVoice US number on any device or software
      – Callees automatically see your GoogleVoice telephone number as Caller ID
      – Integration with GoogleVoice voicemail using transcription
      – Use sophisticated Google Voice answer features like ‘listen in voicemail’ from your PC or handset

No mention of any time limit. When I do try to call out, I get a message saying to purchase Gizmo call-out minutes…

27. Sam on: 4 August 2009 at 11:24 pm

Great idea but I don’t think I’ll be giving gizmo my gmail username and password, sorry …

28. GregC on: 5 August 2009 at 10:00 am

What’s Free?

If I “inititiate” the call from the Google voice site, it calls my Gizmo number and I receive an incoming call from my Google voice number. I answer it. Then the number I’m calling starts ringing.

If the call from my Google Voice number to my Gizmo number is treated by Gizmo as an “incoming” call, then I can make unlimited free calls. But if Google Voice “hands off” the connection to Gizmo in such a way that Gizmo sees it as an outgoing call, I’ll only get three minutes.

I’m about to join an hour long teleconference, and I haven’t provided Gizmo with any way to bill me for outgoi